The Jaganmohan Palace in Mysore is one of the oldest buildings in Mysore. This Palace is more that 150 years old. Like the Mysore Palace this Palace too is a beautiful and ornamental Palace built by the Kings of Mysore. In the 150 years of its existence this Palace has witnessed a number of important events that have been instrumental in shaping the destiny of the modern State of Mysore today known as Karnataka. This Palace was built in 1861 and was initially an ornate wooden one and was being used by the Royal family when a fire destroyed it in 1897.
The Royal family lived in this palace till the main Mysore Palace was
built. The coronation of Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV was held here in 1902.
The then Viceroy and Governor-General of India, Lord Curzon, attended
this ceremony. At the time of the wedding of Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV, the
ornamental front portion with a hall was added to the main building and
is therefore called the Wedding Pavilion. The wedding pavilion was also
used as the Dubar Hall where Krishanraja Wodeyar IV held his annual
birthday and the Dasara Durbars till the completion of the new Sejje or
Durbar Hall in the main Palace in 1910.
The pavilion was used, as the venue for the Representative Assembly
after 1923, a democratic institution consisting of the people's
representative to deliberate on the affairs of the state, this
representative assembly was the first of its kind in a princely state,
an arrangement made by the Mysore Maharajas. Initially the convocation
ceremonies of the Mysore University were held in this attractive hall.
The hall was also used as an auditorium for staging plays and other
cultural activities for the members of the royal family. Many important
meetings and sessions were held in this hall till alternative venues
came up in the city.
To this day many cultural activities and conferences are held in this
hall as it is in the heart of the city. This includes the cultural
programmes held during the Dasara festivities. This hall has two huge
wooden doors on which is carved the Dashavatharas or ten incarnations of
Lord Vishnu. The main structure of Jaganmohan Palace consisting of three
stories has been converted into the famous Jayachamarejendra Art Gallery
during the reign of Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV. It displays the paintings
and artifacts that belonged to the Kings of Mysore. Today this art
gallery is considered one of the best in South India.