The St. Philomena's Church in Mysore is one of the oldest churches in India. It is over 200 years old. Initially over 250 years ago there was a small church in its place. When the capital of Mysore state was move from Srirangapatnam to Mysore city in 1799, many British officers and soldiers came and settled down in Mysore. The Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyar III realized the need for a Christian church for these people. So the Maharaja gave them a small plot of land on the Mysore-Bangalore Road and a little church came up there. As the city expanded and the Christian population of the city increased there was a need for a larger church.
So plans for made to build a larger church and thus came into existence
the famous St. Philomena Church of Mysore. Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyar
IV laid the foundation of the new church on October 28th, 1933 that was
to be built in the place of the small church built by his grandfather. A
Frenchman named Daly designed the church. The floor plan of the
cathedral is in the form of a cross. The long part of the cross is the
'nave', which is the congregation hall. The two arms of the cross are
the 'transepts'. The fourth part containing the altar and the choir is
The Holy Mass is performed daily in Kannada, Tamil and English at the
table in the sanctum sanctorum. Behind this is an exquisite marble altar
on which the statue of St. Philomena is placed. There is also an idol of
Christ lying in his sacred wounds. Above the sanctum there are lovely
stained glass windows from France with painting depicting the birth of
Jesus Christ, the Last Supper, the Crucifixion and the Resurrection. The
part of the church that is most attractive is the towers or spires.
These towers resemble that of a cathedral in Cologne in Germany and
those of St. Patrick's Church in New York. The two spires are 175 feet
The entire church is built in the Gothic style is one of the largest
Cathedrals in South Asia. The Church has the relic of the 3rd century
St. Philomena that is in a beautiful catacomb that is below the main
altar. The construction of the church was completed under Bishop Rene
Fuga's supervision. At that time Thamboo Chetty, was the Huzur Secretary
to the Maharaja of Mysore, heard about the greatness of St. Philomena
and obtained a relic of the saint from Peter Pisani, Apostolic Delegate
of the East Indies in 1926. After obtaining the relic it was handed over
to Fr. Cochet. The next year a new state of St. Philomena was brought
The story of St. Philomena dates back to the 3rd century A.D. Philomena
was the daughter of the monarch of a small state in Greece. Her parents
were childless. They prayed to God and asked Him to bless them with a
child and promised to convert to Christianity if their wish was granted.
The next year Philomena was born to them. Even in her childhood
Philomena showed signs of piety. When Philomena was 13 years' old her
father took her to Rome to obtain the favour of Emperor Diocletion. The
Emperor was enthralled by her beauty and wanted to marry her. But she
refused and vowed to give herself to God. As she refused to marry the
Emperor she was tortured and beheaded in Rome.
But people's devotion for her spread near and far and she was given
sainthood. There are a number of churches dedicated to her all over the
world. Today the church stands as a monument to the secular outlook of
the Mysore rulers. It is no longer just a religious place but has become
a major tourist attraction in Mysore. There is an orphanage on the
premises of the church that is run by the church. The church is located
at a distance of 3kms from the city bus stand and 2km from the Palace.
The church is open from 8am to 6pm. Holy Mass is held in the morning and
evening. Special masses are held on Sundays and on festivals. An Annual
Feast is held on August 11th each year.