The Lalitha Mahal Palace is situated 11kms from Mysore city on top of a small hillock. This Palace is set in the middle of sprawling terraced gardens. Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV commissioned this two-storied Palace in 1921. This Palace was built to exclusively to accommodate the Viceroy of India. E.W. Fritchley from Mumbai designed the Palace in the Renaissance style and included designs concepts from the Italian palazzo and English manor. This Palace meant for special royal guests has now been converted into a heritage category five-star hotel of India Tourism Development Corporation of the Government of India. The Palace has been maintained very carefully to keeps its grandeur intact.
The central hall is decorated with life size portraits of the royalty
of Mysore, lithographs portraying Tippu Sultan's battles with the
British. The walls and ceilings have beautiful motifs, the wooden
shutters are intricately carved, and the wall panels are beautifully
decorated too. Most of the old Palace furniture is being used in the
hotel to this day, like four-poster beds, carved wooden cupboards, deep
velvet covered armchairs and gilt framed Belgian mirrors. The viceroy
room, banquet hall, dancing floor and an Italian marble staircase have
been carefully maintained. The sprawling gardens have been reduced in
size, as they are difficult to maintain. The hotel has maintained the
Palace well and its splendour is intact to this day.